Terri Riba
Terri Riba, Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in canine health and behavior. 20 years of experience with dogs

what to do for my dogs split toenail

I recently trimmed my french bulldog's nails. One has split in half pretty far up into the toe. He is not limping. The nail is a darker color now. What should I do about this?

Hi there,

Is it bleeding?

which foot is it on?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hi Terri ,
No it's not's his front right foot. He's not limping and able to climb stairs and such...

Dear friend,

These things happen all the time! That is quite painful, hence why he does not want you to touch. the paw.

If there is any hanging piece of nail try to cut it off.

You can use peroxide for disinfecting but he also needs a dab of neosporen. If he is in a lot of pain put a sock on his leg, taped at the top so he cannot remove it. You can put a piece of cotton, sponge or a pad around the toe under the sock to cushion it.It can take a few days to grow out, but it will.

If he is really uncomfortable, even a groomer will be able to clip the rest of the nail off.

He may have either benedryl at 2 mg per lb or aspirin at 5 mg per lb of his weight - not both.

Please let me know how he is feeling. I will always be here to help.

I hope your boy feels better very soon.

Sincerest best wishes,