ChristineLVT, Certified Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Licensed veterinary technician (B.S. Mercy College), 10 yrs in animal medicine and training

My dog is vomiting and foaming/drooling continously since I ...

My dog is vomiting and foaming/drooling continously since I got home 3 hours ago. She''s been drinking water and it comes right back up. She is a 5 year old Rottie. It''s 8pm at night. I can take her to the vet in the morning. Is there anything I can do to stop the vomiting?

I'm sorry to hear your dog isn't feeling well. It may be difficult to treat at home if she continues to not be able to hold anything down. However, you can try as long as she isn‘t painful, overly lethargic, pale, dizzy or unresponsive (which requires more immediate vet attention).

Wait at least 12 hours before feeding, a bit longer if still vomiting. Avoid giving water right now as well, as she'll just keep regurgitating it. Then try giving some pepcid at a dose of 0.25mg per pound of body weight, as long as your dog has been fairly healthy otherwise (no liver/kidney disease or on heart medications). Then you can try very very small amounts of a bland food, like Gerber baby food (chicken or turkey flavors are good) or boiled chicken. Just about a tsp or so.

If able to hold down, try again in an hour this same amt. If doing ok, do this for a few hrs, then about 1/2 a meal amount for her next meal time. You can repeat the pepcid in 12 hours as well, if you feel it is needed (while the bland diet helps the most, the pepcid may help speed along the GI's settling).

If doing ok, keep on bland diet for a couple of days, the gradually switch back to normal food. If not able to hold down even the pepcid, she'll need a vet visit sooner than later, as injectable medications will be called for, and further diagnostics may be needed to see if this is more than just a stomach upset. Often antibiotics are needed for the bacteria that has built up in the GI tract. Also, make sure she's drinking water or even some unflavored pedialyte the entire time so as not to dehydrate, but only very small amounts at a time after 8-10 hrs fasting, and keep her away from heat and indoors while recuperating, except for short leash walks only to do her business.

Here's some more info about Pepcid:

Best of luck, hope your dog is better in no time!