NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics

why does my dog cough all the time

Duke is 12 years old a black lab mix, and lately he coughs and gags a lot as if he has something in his throught, but there is nothing. Duke also pants a lot he is an inside dog, and last week he vomited up a piece of a flat worm. Does Duke have a worm problem?
I'd plan on a vet visit though you can start by just bringing the vet a fresh stool sample to check for worm eggs to see if there is a worm problem.
You can read about worms here
and some varieties do pass through the lungs on the way to the intestinal tract.
With the age of your dog this could be a sign of a heart issue, a fluid build up on the lungs, an infection, or a problem with his larynx which you can read about here
I do think your best option is a vet check up for your senior dog.
Hope this helps you!