LouA, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  20+ yrs experience in vet medicine, special interest in Sighthounds, successful Agility competitor

My staffie has starter getting lumps and wart looking bumps ...

Customer Question

My staffie has starter getting lumps and wart looking bumps under and on the side of his chin and mouth!! Some are weeping and look red and sore!! Starting to get worried now !!!
Category: Dog
Expert:  LouA replied 8 years ago.
I'm so sorry your dog is having problems. Staffies are notorious for developing chin acne. Many outgrow it but some dogs fight with the condition off and on for their entire lives. This condition sometimes requires medications that can only be prescribed by your veterinarian ... antibiotics, steroids, special topical ointments; however, there are some things that you can do at home that may help. You need to become a chronic chin washer ... keep his chin CLEAN. In the beginning, you may have to wash his chin several times daily ... a wash cloth soaked in warm water is fine to use or you can use some of the over the counter medicated shampoos. As the condition improves, you may be able to decrease the frequency of the washings. If frequent washing does not help, it's ok to use a Stridex pad on the area daily ... the same Stridex pad they sell for acne in people. If you try this treatment regime for 5 to 7 days and are seeing no improvement, you will need to head to your veterinarian for more involved treatments.