NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics

Can I give my dog a suppository he has been sick and can ...

Customer Question

Can I give my dog a suppository he has been sick and can not have a bowel movement
Category: Dog
Expert:  NancyH replied 8 years ago.
Most human suppositories are not safe for dogs.
A plain glycerin suppository might be OK to use.
If he is eating for you then you could try some plain canned pumpkin added to his food as the fiber can help keep stool moist and bulky making it easier to move out of the system.
You could also consider giving him a half cup of milk as that can be a mild laxative for dogs.
You may want to call your vet office when they open and ask about what they'd suggest to do for him if he is constipated. They may suggest a med or an enema etc but you want to ask your vet who is fully informed on your dog's medical health before doing anything that might be risky.
If he is up to walking around a bit you might try that as often walking can help a dog to go as it aids in the intestines moving the stool along.
Hope this helps you!