Cher, Dog Caregiver--Extensive Experience
Experience:  Extensive Experience Caring for Canines; Specializing in behavior and health concerns.

Does Diabetes seem prevalent in Min Pins and what are some ...

Does Diabetes seem prevalent in Min Pins and what are some possible treatments other than insulm shots?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Cher replied 8 years ago.

Has your dog been diagnosed with diabetes through bloodwork at your vet's?

Did the vet recommend insulin injections?

Are you squeamish about giving injections?

Thanks for any additional detail.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Cher's Post: Yes she was diagnosed today. Yes the vet suggested insulin shots. I would just like to know if there are other options that people with min pins have tried with any sucess.
Expert:  Cher replied 8 years ago.
Hello again, and thanks for your additional information.

Yes, Min Pins ARE more predisposed to develop diabetes, and this is usually due to being good (big) eaters and becoming overweight. Overweight dogs are more prone to diabetes, so diet is very important.

Diabetes in dogs is almost always controlled with insulin. Dietary changes usually accompany the insulin injections, to reduce body weight and carb/fat intake, which turns to sugar in the body. A good food for a diabetic dog, is one that is high in protein and low in carbs and fat, with high fiber.

This should provide more helpful information:

Depending upon how high your dog's blood glucose reading was, your vet will prescribe the correct dosage of insulin, and/or discuss lowering her blood glucose with diet only. If insulin is definitely needed, please try not to worry too much. I have a diabetic cat, to whom I give two injections of insulin daily, and he was diagnosed 7 years ago. It's something you can learn to do with guidance from your vet and researching further sources re: canine diabetes, online.

I hope all will be well, and please let me know if you have any further questions.