Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

my dog ate his feces, and has been throwing up what should I do

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 8 years ago.
Hi Bsmith,

Does your dog eat bones or rawhides?
Does she ever ingest non food items?
Did you see her eat the feces before vomiting them up?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Jane Lefler's Post: no I did not see her eat the feces, but the liquide smells like feces and she passed her bowels in her crate, so when I got home I saw she had deficated a little bit then when I let her out she threw up on the floor after and hour later.
Hi Bsmith,

I asked because dogs with intestinal obstructions are often described as vomiting a feces like substance. Intestinal obstructions are considered emergencies. You can read about them here:

So if your dog has ingested any bones, rawhides or eaten any non food items like toys, clothing, etc, in the last few days, I would have your girl seen immediately so she can be checked over.

If you are sure she did not ingest anything and an intestinal obstruction is impossible, then it might just be that she has a bit of a stomach upset or it is the result of having parasites or a protozoan infection such as coccidia or giardia. These conditions do cause a dog to break house training and if severe can cause vomiting as well. For additional information about worms, see this site

Common dewormers are Panacur, which is a prescription product so you need to obtain it from your Vet and it works on roundworms and whipworms. Wormers labeled as Pyrantel Pamoate are the best over the counter medication for roundworms. Drontal plus is also a prescription product and is used for the treatment of Tapeworms, though dewormers with praziquantel work well against tapeworms.   Revolution and Interceptor as well as other heartworm medications also control whipworms and roundworms. Another reason to keep your dog on Heartworm medication.

Information on coccidia
Symptoms are diarrhea which could be mild or severe depending on how infected they are. If severe there may be blood and mucous along with vomiting, loss of appetite leading to dehydration.
Information on giardia
Symptoms of giardia are diarrhea with possible terrible smell, mucousy stool and sometimes bouts of vomiting.

Of course, if it is possible she ingested a toxic substance such as chocolate, medications, cocoa mulch, etc, then she should be seen immediately as well.

You can give your dog some pepcid at .25 -.5 mg per pound every 12-14 hours to see if this helps. Read about dosages and usage information here:

Put a drop of pancake syrup on your dog's tongue to keep your dog's glucose level up and replace water with pedialyte or if you don't have any add a pinch of sugar and salt to the water.   After that offer small portions of bland food such as boiled chicken and rice to see how the dog’s system does with that. If your dog does fine, you can slowly reintroduce your dog’s regular food into the chicken and rice mixture until it is all regular food.

I hope this information is helpful to you.