Dr. K
Dr. K, Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years experience as Veterinarian

What does a hernia look like Can it be located in the back ...

What does a hernia look like? Can it be located in the back lower abdomin
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. K replied 8 years ago.
Hi mumu,
Hernias can occur at many different places and will look different depending on where they are located, and what has herniated through the area. The most common places for hernias to occur spontaneously are at the umbilicus (the belly button) and in the inguinal area (the spot where the inner thigh meets the body wall). A hernia is basically when a piece of internal organ protrudes abnormally through a space in the body wall. It really would be hard for me to describe what it looks like, because they can all look so different. What most people notice is just an abnormal swelling or lump in an area where it wasn't before.
Your vet can easily diagnose a hernia on phyical, if the vet is unsure of what they are looking at is probably not a hernia.
I hope that this information is of help to you, and that your dog gets better soon. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Dr. K