Cher, Dog Caregiver--Extensive Experience
Experience:  Extensive Experience Caring for Canines; Specializing in behavior and health concerns.

My dog ate splenda sweetner. He just had diahreea real bad.

My dog ate splenda sweetner. He just had diahreea real bad. What shoul I do?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Cher replied 8 years ago.

How long ago did your dog eat this?

How much did he eat, do you know? What is 'straight' splenda powder, or splenda contained in a baked good or other food?

Is he vomiting at all?

How much does he weigh?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Cher's Post: He ate a sucker that was made with splenda. He isn't throwing up just the other. I think he ate it sometime around 3:30am EST. He only weighs about 12 pounds
Expert:  Cher replied 8 years ago.

Fortunately, he should only suffer intestinal upset, as you're witnessing now. Splenda is not considered toxic to dogs, although it should not be fed to dogs, of course. The only artificial sweetener which is DEADLY to dogs is XYLITOL, contained in many name brands of sugarless products, like Orbit gum, so always keep such items inaccessible to your dog.

If the diarrhea continues, definitely have him evaluated by your vet, ASAP, and he will be prescribed treatment, as needed. For the moment, feed him a couple of slices of very burnt toast (burnt BLACK), as the charcoal formed by the burnt part will help absorb some of the ingredients from the sucker. Also, encourage drinking of fresh, cool water, to help flush out his system. Add plain cooked white rice to his regular dog food, to help bind him up and hopefully, his diarrhea will clear up.

If he begins to exhibit any additional symptoms, or if the diarrhea is constant, definitely bring him to the vet. I prefer to err on the side of caution, and an in-person vet visit is always your best course of action in cases like this.

I hope all will be well!