ask_me
ask_me, Obedience, breeding, showing
Experience:  Well versed in all things canine! Knowledgeable in breeding, training and showing
5181091

Shih-tzu: My 13 year..13 year old..still very active, has a new thing

My 13 year old Shih-tzu who is still very active, has a new thing that he does all day. He sounds like he is trying to hack something up but nothing ever comes out. This has been going on for 3 weeks, first very infrequently, but now often.
Category: Dog
Expert:  ask_me replied 8 years ago.

Thanks for the information on your Shih Tuz. I'm sorry to hear that he is having this problem. There are several things that this may be. Some of the more common include issues such as upper respiratory infeciton, collapsed trachea, heart issues, or object lodged in throat. I would suggest having him to your vet for a wellness exam to determine the exact cause. All of the aforementioned can be worked through, it's just best to investigate them sooner then later. Tracheal collapse is very common in Shih Tzus and is generally treated by restircting strenous activity and also with medication (typically an oral steroid) as given by your vet. I hope he's doing better soon. -Robyn

Please click "ACCEPT" or if you need more information "REPLY"