Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech for over 35+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues

Will menthol cough drops hurt my dog if ingested

I have a seven month old 10lb peek-a-poo that has eaten approx 15-20 halls cherry Mentholyptus cough drops. Other than an upset stomach what else shoulf I expect or are there actions I should take?

Are the cough drops sugarless?

How much menthol in each cough drop?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Jav917's Post: no, they are not sugarless. There is 7mg of menthol in each drop

Since they are not sugarless, that is a good sign. Xylitrol is toxic to dogs and is used in sugarless products. We are looking at some gastrointestinal distress which may include vomiting and some diarrhea. Make sure to keep your baby well hydrated. If there ius stomach problems fast for 12 hours. Then start a bland diet of skinless chicken breast and white rioce boiled. 1 part chicken to 3 parts rice. Give this for about 3 days and then wean back onto the regular diet. It would be a good idea to follow up with your Vet tomorrow. Joan