Vet Tech Amy
Vet Tech Amy, Certified Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Veterinary Technician 5 years, pet owner, 10 years in the animal field

My dog ate my multi-vitamin (One A Day Weight Smart)

Sometime during the last 24 hours, my dog ate my multi-vitamin (One A Day Weight Smart) It has 18 mg of Iron and 15 mg of Zinc. She is a 1 yr. old black lab that weighs 55 - 65 pounds. Do I need to be concerned, and what do I need to watch her for.

Due to the fact that there was 1 tablet (vitamin) missing and she is a full size lab, there should not be any side effects. If she had consumed many tablets, or consumes a single tablet on a regular basis (several days in a row) I would be concerned, especially due to potential zinc and iron toxicity.

Again, a single multi-vitamin for a healthy 50 pound dog should not result in side effects. You can as a precaution add rice or canned pumpkin (1 Tbsp) to each meal to prevent subsequent diarrhea that may occur to a sensitive stomach. Remember to offer plenty of fresh water. Notify your vet if you notice any unusual symptoms such as lethargy, vomiting, diarrhea, etc.
If you are concerned about the cost of treatment, you can look at the following websites for financing information/financial assistance.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need additional information.

Best wishes to you BOTH,