Dr. K
Dr. K, Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years experience as Veterinarian
7189224

My son got a rash after holding my cocker.contagious mites

Can dogs give you itchy rashes and if so what and how can it
be treated?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. K replied 8 years ago.
HiCustomer
You can get rashes from a dog that has some type of infectious problem, or if you are allergic to the dog.
The most common infectious problems that are going to be transferred from dogs to people are fleas, sarcoptic mange, and ringworm. If the dog has fleas (which is possible in any dog that not on a monthly flea preventative), then a person can get a rash from holding the dog, when the fleas started biting the person's skin. Some people are more sensitive to flea bites than others, and this can cause intense itchiness.
Sarcoptic mange is caused by tiny mites that can live on the dog. In some cases, dogs do not even appear to be itchy or affected in any way, and can "silently" carry the mange mite. This is treatable by the dermatologist, and by your vet.
Ringworm can occur on dogs commonly pretty much anywhere on their body and usually causes the affected skin to lose its hair in circular spots. Your vet can diagnose ringworm for your dog and treat it. This can also be treated for people.
Your first step is to take your son to the dermatologist to have the problem diagnosed. The dermatologist will treat your child, and you can then take your dog to the vet to have him evluated and treated for the same.
If the dermatologist says that this is a contact allergy, then your dog is not really harboring anything other than his own dander. For that, you will need to discuss with the dermatologist whether or not your son will be able to have the dog in teh house anymore.
I hope that this information is of help to you, and I wish you the best of luck with both your son and your dog. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Dr. K