Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 16+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

white eye discharge, terrible smell

No Comment Added
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 6 years ago.
HiCustomer

Is this accumulating under the eye?
Are the dog's eyes bloodshot?
Any swelling of the eyes or tissue surrounding the eye?
The above information indicates that your dog is older than 12. How old is he?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Jane Lefler's Post: The dog is 14 and has been having significant dirrear problems (cronis colitius) for numerous months. Is on thyroid medicine which improves overall condition but this new white discharge and pretty bad overall odor - like bad feces - just started. Eyes not bloodshot nor swollen. Discharge in in the corner of the eye ie center between the eyes on the nose.
HiCustomer

The discharge could have started a skin dermatitis which has caused the foul odor. Usually in these cases, keeping the hair in this area trimmed short and wiping the discharge away with warm wash cloth or cotton balls. You can then apply some miconazole cream on the area (not in eyes) to help control the dermatitis.

It might also indicate an eye infection since a foul smelling discharge can point to an infection. Usually we see a yellowish or greenish discharge instead of white and bloodshot eyes with this, but it is still worth a vet visit if you do not see any improvement using the cream. Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Obviously this dog is old and has been having significant abdominal problems for a year or longer. He is in too good condition otherwise to consider putting down - one vet declined to do this because Dillinger was simply too good.

This new bad smell and white discharge problem just started after he got sick in his cage at night and cut his nose while trying to get out of the dierrhea. He really likes his cage to sleep in after msny years of sleeping in the bathroom.

He is my daughter's dog and she says the smell is terrible. Is it possible it is coming from him cleaning himself??

I am only trying to connect the dots with the discharge and smell symphtoms.
Customer

Ahh. So the smell is not necessarily from the discharge. A thick white discharge could just be a sign that he has a bit of an upper respiratory illness developing that he may recover from without support, but it should still be kept cleaned off.

If this is coming from the mouth, there are many problems that can cause bad breath in a dog. The most common cause is dental problems and you can usually spot these as you can see tartar on the teeth and possibly red gums and darkened teeth. Kidney problems or diabetes can also cause bad breath as can a stomach upset or the dog licking his anal glands which are seeping due to being overfull, though you usually can smell this cause at both ends of the dog.

First have her check the dog’s mouth, if it looks like it is his teeth, the vet can take care of this problem. I’d try adding some regular unflavored yogurt (not fat-free) to the dog's food for a week or so and see if that doesn't help solve the problem

In a dog this old with this many health issues, a senior checkup really is in order. Hope this helps.
Experience: Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 16+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist