Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech for over 35+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues

Can you give dogs gatorade for diarriah and vomiting My ...

Can you give dogs gatorade for diarriah and vomiting? My dog was put on Metocloramide mgs and metronidazole 250mg 4 days ago for this he did a little better for 2 days and now is back to the same. I am a low income person and my dog is 7 years old, I have just spent 300.00 for this and can not afford any more right now...Help !!!
Category: Dog
Expert:  Joan replied 8 years ago.

You can give Pedialyte instead of Gatorade. The pedialyte is better to help balance the electrolytes and does not have the amount of salt that the Gatorade does. If you dog is vomiting and Diarrhea you will need to rest the stomach for 12 hours and continue with fluids. After 12 hours, you can start a diet of skinless chicken breast boiled with white rice and continue the Pedialyte. This is a bland diet and will help the stomach. You can keep the dog on the bland diet for about a week. Give 1 part chicken to 3 parts rice. One the stools start coming back to normal, at that time you can wean your baby back onto the regular diet. I hope this helps. Joan