Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

I have a female toy poodle that is in heat and a male ...

I have a female toy poodle that is in heat and a male german shephard the female is 8 months the male 2 years. Is there anything I can do with my male to make him leave her alone and to let us sleep at night. He barks and cries all night. I have put him in a cage but he is just crazy whinning and crying all the time. She has been in heat about 2 weeks now and is not bleeding but still swollen. Thank you for any help you can give me.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 8 years ago.

HI shebasmom,

Unfortunately there is very little you can do when a female is in heat. Even though she is not bleeding anymore she is probably going through the second stage of heat which is the stage where she can become pregnant. You will see a pale yellowish discharge in this stage and it can last from 4 to 13 days.

Over the counter melatoin has been known to help a dog with anxieties , but this may not work when there is a female in heat. Benadryl will make a dog sleepy, but again it is no garuntee that the male will settle. If you have a relative or friend that can keep the male during this second stage ,that may be more prudent .

melatonin http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/melatonin-melatonex/page1.aspx

Benadryl http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/diphenhydramine-benadryl/page1.aspx

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Sally Grott's Post: can I use Melatonin safely on my dog at night
Expert:  Sally G. replied 8 years ago.
Melatonin is pretty safe when given as directed , the dosage is listed in the site I directed you to. However ,as with any medication you should always consult with your vet as they know the dog's history.