Mia Carter
Mia Carter, Animal Expert
Experience:  Specializing in the training and care of ill pets and special needs animals! Mom of 22 pets!
5408404

My puggle ate a maxi pad. What should I do

No Comment Added
Category: Dog
Expert:  Mia Carter replied 8 years ago.
Hello there.

I'm sorry to hear about your puggle. The things our pets eat!

I would strongly recommend a visit to the vet for an exam and an x-ray. It's very possible that he could end up with an intestinal obstruction, where the pad gets "stuck" in the intestinal tract.

Other indicators of a really dangerous situation involving an obstruction include projectile vomiting, no passage of food or water (i.e. he vomits up EVERYTHING he eats and isn't going to the bathroom at all), large, distended and painful abdomen, blood in the stool and pale gums.

I would give him a couple spoonfuls of mineral oil, as this will hopefully help the pad pass through more easily.

Here's a site to learn more about obstructions:
http://dogs.about.com/cs/disableddogs/p/bowel_obstruct.htm
http://www.petplace.com/dogs/gastric-stomach-foreign-body-in-dogs/page1.aspx

In terms of his stomach, it may take a day or two for him to feel normal, even if the pad passes. If he can't hold any food down, I would strongly suspect an obstruction. But if he is found to be okay with no obstruction, it may be due to eating a non-food item and you may have to allow his stomach to rest. Sometimes, allowing the stomach to rest with no food for 24 hours is all you need to get back on track.

You'll want to offer a small meals of bland food (rice, cottage cheese, chicken, hamburger, as discussed above). In the cases of the meats, be sure to drain and cut away any fat. The key is to keep these foods light on the stomach. To start out, only offer one or two spoonfuls. If she keeps this down for four hours, offer a bit more than you did the first time. Wait another four hours and repeat the process until you get up to about 1/4 or 1/3 of her normal meal size. And feed her this food three or four times a day for two full days. On the fourth day, you can begin to feed her normal dog food. But don't do this changeover suddenly. Mix four parts of the bland food with about one part normal dog food. On the fifth day, mix three parts bland food to two parts normal dog food and continue at this rate until she's back on her normal dog food.

Notably, this bland food will be more appealing to her than her normal food, so he may be more apt to eat this, even with a stomach ache.

For more info on hypoglycemia, visit:
http://www.gopetsamerica.com/dog-health/hypoglycemia.aspx

You'll also want to address the problem of dehydration. Your dog will be low on fluids if he's not eating and drinking like normal and this will just make him feel even worse (and even less likely to eat) To combat this, you can add plain, unflavored Pedialyte to his water (50-50 mix). This will help replenish electrolytes and hydrate.

Also, you may want to try some pepto bismol - it may be all he needs to get back on track. It can be given every six hours, at a dose of 1 ml per 1 pound of body weight. Beware that it may make hid stool look black for a day or two. And be sure to check with your vet first if he's on any other medications.

Also, you could try him on some canned pumpkin. Not pie filling - just plain pureed pumpkin. It can help loosen up the stool naturally. Just a few spoonfuls with your dog's meal is all you need. (Oddly, it's also effective in helping with constipation! )

I hope your dog is feeling better soon!

****Please ACCEPT if my answer was helpful!****

-Mia Carter
Pet Expert

**As experts, we are not compensated for our time and efforts unless you "accept!"