Dr. Angela
Dr. Angela, Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine Degree, University of Illinois

I think my dog has a bone stuck in his throat......he ...

Customer Question

I think my dog has a bone stuck in his throat......he is relatively active and eating but he hackeds and cough from time to time is there a home remedy i could use money is so tight i cant afford to take him to the vet
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Angela replied 8 years ago.
Dear XXXXX: It is rare for a dog to get a bone stuck in their throat. People often worry that this is going on, but when they bring their coughing dogs to me, I rarely actually find anything stuck in their throat. And if he is eating and active, it's probably not an emergency. You can run your fingers along his windpipe gently to see if that makes him gag or cough. This is called checking for tracheal sensitivity. If he coughs or gags when you press gently along his trachea (wind pipe), then he could, in fact, have something stuck in his throat, or he could just have an irritated inflamed trachea (kennel cough). Money is tight, and this doesn't sound like an emergency, so the only home remedy is time. If it's just a cold (kennel cough), it'll probably run its course and get better. It could get worse. Or he could stop eating or really start acting uncomfortable. If those things happen, get him in right away. Otherwise give it time. Best wishes.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
how long could this go on

Well, kennel cough can take a couple weeks to fully resolve (just like when you get a bad cold and cough). I don't know for sure that it is kennel cough though. If it's something else causing him to cough, I can't really say how long it will go on. Hope that's helpful!