Dr. Angela
Dr. Angela, Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine Degree, University of Illinois

My 6 month old puppy is vomiting and has

My 6 month old puppy is vomiting and has occassional bouts of diarrhea. It started 2 days after a switch in food occurred from her usual brand. Could this be a reaction to the food? Now that I have restored her usual brand, so far she is not eating it, but it has only been one feeding. I did offer her plain chicken with no skin and she did take that from me. Should I be concerned?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Angela replied 8 years ago.
It sounds like she may be reacting to the change in diet. Some dogs, especially GSDs, have very sensitive digestive systems. I am encouraged that she at the chicken. Now the important question will be ... will she keep it down or vomit? If she keeps it down, no vomiting, no diarrhea, is acting normal (playful, interested in you), then I wouldn't rush her to the vet yet. I always worry about young dogs with vomiting and diarrhea, especially if they are not eating. I'll assume she's had all her shots since she's six months old. If not, that's another story. If she continues being picky about food, vomiting, diarrhea, I'd get her to the vet because she could be coming down with Parvo, she could have parasites, or she could have any of a number of other things wrong with her. Again, it's good she ate the chicken as long as she keeps it down. If she's acting depressed, vomiting, diarrhea, etc., you might have to take her to an ER tonight or to your vet first thing in the morning. I hope that's helpful. Best wishes.