How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Pat Your Own Question
Pat, Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 1069
Experience:  10 years of veterinary experience in private practice and emergency care
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Pat is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

is black licorice toxic to dogs in large quantities Are ...

Customer Question

is black licorice toxic to dogs in large quantities? Are the symptoms of overdose the same as those for humans. My 12 lb dogs ate a fair amt of this. Should I be concerned. My vet did not think so, but in humans toxic amts are quite dangerous.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Pat replied 8 years ago.
Hi, Honestly,
I have heard that licorice is toxic in large amounts. They way we would find out (as vets) is to call the poison hot line of the ASPCA
There, you will give your pets weight , breed and how much of the toxin in question was consumed and they will tell you how best to proceed. We do not keep this info ourselves. Another chepaer site to look at is also listed below. I think the ASPCA is currently %60 an the other hot line closer to $35.
I hope this helps.
Dr. Pat
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Pat's Post: I already thought od calling poison control. was looking for a more definative answer. In humans licorice overdose can result in significant hypokalemia, arrhythmias, VT, cardiac arrest, H20 and Na retention with resultant HTN.

There is a chapter in "Clinical Techniques in Small Animal Practice" by Fitzgerald et al. The chapter in entitled OTC drug toxicities in companion animals. The chapter addresses black licorice toxicity in sm dogs. Hoping for some insight from you.
Expert:  Pat replied 8 years ago.
I will pass. I am not a toxicologist.
And yes, I know the list of side effects. I feel that treating this without a toxicologist to consult with is irresponsible. I will send back out to the list serve.
Dr. Pat
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Pat's Post: Answer not helpful. Offered nothing I did not already know.
Expert:  Pat replied 8 years ago.

Related Dog Questions