ask_me, Obedience, breeding, showing
Experience:  Well versed in all things canine! Knowledgeable in breeding, training and showing

My dog has purple bruising under her skin, went to vet and ...

My dog has purple bruising under her skin, went to vet and lab reports shows a very low blood platelet count. Same thing happened last year and her platelet count was only 9 and this year the text came back with a 33 count. She is on predisone again, this time instead of 5mg she''s on 10mg. Why is it happening and what can we do to prevent it.
Category: Dog
Expert:  ask_me replied 8 years ago.

I'm sorry to hear that your Matlese/Chihuhua is having this issue. The shot may have brought about the bruising but would not have likely contributed to the lowered count. If your vet hasn't yet, consider having them look into kidney/liver shunt issues as an underlying cause of the anemia may need to be established. Maltese are prone to shunts and if one is present, it's best to know so that treatment can be intiated (typicaly diet modification and potentiallyl medication). I hope your girl is doing better soon. -Robyn

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply toCustomers Post: The bruising is all over her belly with the worst of it underneath her chin chest and upper frontlegs, the whole area is one big dark purple bruise (as big as my palm) and there are also spots on the lower belly with one big purple bruise on her inner upper right leg. The smaller spots is gone after the 2nd day on predisone. Is bruising this bad normal for a dog with kidney/liver shunt issues?? The vet told me dogs with low platelets only needs one treatment and can't understand why it happened again and it worries me as I don't know if it is a sign that something is wrong. Texts for tick-bites and cat disease came back negative.
Expert:  ask_me replied 8 years ago.

Poor thing! It's awful when these little guys are not feelling well. There are many issues that can cause anemia, you can read more here (page 3 is very helpful). From heart issues, to organ malfunctions many underlying issues can be the catalyst for anemia. That said, it can also exist from unknown origins. Tryng to find the underlying problem often is helpful in preventing future episodes. Bruising can be intense with shunts as can it with heart problems or other internal bleeding. Maltese tend to have a predisposition for shunts so it may be good to discuss this with your vet. I hope she's continues to improve. -Robyn