Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

I have a yorkie and she keeps panting it is not hot out and ...

I have a yorkie and she keeps panting it is not hot out and she has water
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 8 years ago.

Many different things can cause constant panting. Heavy panting can be caused by heart problems, lung problems, fever, or bronchitis. You can read about this here:

Dogs pant for various reasons. They pant to cool down, but they also pant when they are under stress, in pain, or afraid. There can also be medical causes such as neurological problems, respiratory disorders, and Heart problems such as heartworm, anemia, and fever.

If your dog is panting but has no other symptoms, keep a watch on him. If it still seems excessive after a day or so, or if he develops more symptoms, I'd schedule an appointment with your Vet.

Shaking or trembling in could be due to hypoglycemia, liver shunt, or a neurologic response such as a seizure. Trembling can also be a sign of pain, stress and cold.

Hypoglycemia is low blood sugar and frequently causing trembling in small breeds. Feeding your dog smaller meals more frequently can help. If you suspect your dog is having low blood sugar you can put a drop of pancake syrup on your dog's tongue which should raise the level.

A liver shunt is usually a genetic condition. It is a condition where instead of the blood going through the liver and being cleansed, part of the blood is diverted around the liver resulting in a toxic buildup in the blood. You can read about these here:

Seizures can manifest as trembling and a dog may not lose conscienceness. You can read more about seizures here:

So since your dog is also trembling along with the panting, I would have your dog seen since she may be in pain. I hope this information is helpful to you.