Dr. Angela
Dr. Angela, Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine Degree, University of Illinois

How toxic is Oxycotin or Norco to a 60lb. dog

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Submitted: 6 years ago via PetPlace.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Angela replied 6 years ago.

Both are pretty strong drugs. If an overdose has occurred it can be pretty serious. The toxicity level depends on how much the 60 pound dog has received. I have dosages for both drugs in a drug formulary but I am prohibited from giving doses over the internet. If you're looking to actually give one of these drugs to your dog you'll have to call your regular vet to get a dose. If your dog accidentally ate one of these drugs and you're looking to find out how much would constitute an overdose, again, your own vet has to give you that information. If you're worried about a toxicity you can call the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at(NNN) NNN-NNNNor visit their web site at www.aspca.org/apcc. If I have not satisfied your questions or you have further questions, let me know and we'll continue this thread until I've given you the info you're looking for. Best wishes.

Dr. Angela, Veterinarian
Experience: Doctor of Veterinary Medicine Degree, University of Illinois
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The dose of the Oxycotin is 10mg, as well as the Norco at 10 mg. It may have been dropped on the floor in the last 1-2 hours by my elderly mother. She doesn't recall which one she took, she has dementia. I need to know if If I should watch the dog or take her to the Vet ER. She seems fine, just a little sleepy. She takes asprin on a regular basis 2x a day for arthritis in her hips. Would that also affect how toxic the other med would be?
Norco (hydrocodone) is sometimes dosed in dogs at 0.22 mg/kg which for your dog would be 6 mg. So your dog may have ingested double the normal dose. I cannot find any reference for a dose of OxyContin (oxycodone) in dogs so I cannot even tell you if 10 mg of OxyContin is a huge danger. You said it's been 1 to 2 hours since possible ingestion. It's probably too late to induce vomiting. You are in a little bit of a possible danger zone with the Norco since it's at twice the prescribed dose. If that's true for the Norco, it's also likely true for the OxyContin. And if it's possible he ate one pill, it may be possible he ate two, so I'd probably play it safe and call the ASPCA Tox hotline. They will specifically tell you if the doses are dangerous and then, if you do have to go to the ER, they will advise the ER vet on how to treat. You will have to pay a fee to speak to the toxicologist (I think it's about $75 or so) and they will want a credit card. I'm sorry I can't give you a final word on this but I hope my answer has been helpful. If you have more questions, let me know.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank You. That was what I was wondering. I don't think it was the Oxycotin, as there aren't any missing in her pill bottle, just 1/2 of one in the Norco bottle. (Which I just discovered)She doesn't act like she is lethargic, so I'm not so worried as I was. Thanks again!!
You're welcome!