Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator

My dog is always staring at the floor or the wall or will ...

Customer Question

My dog is always staring at the floor or the wall or will just go stand in the closet. This all started after a mild seizure. I don''t beleive he has had anymore seizures. He also has been very depressed no matter how much I try to spoil him. Should he be on medication?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 8 years ago.

Dogs that have seizures can have different types, all are not full blown seizures where the dog is rendered unconscious for a few minutes. There are partial or focal seizures which would show a change in behaviors. Some dogs will pace, whine, bark, hide, become clingy to the owner (or the opposite), lick air or snap at imaginary flies. Different behaviors vary from dog to dog and some are noticeable by the owner, and some are passed off a strange quirks. These behaviors can last from minutes to days in duration. Generally unless seizures are full blown and life threatening nothing is done. I would keep a record of the times and the type of behaviors you are seeing to discuss with your vet. If possible video taping the episode may also be helpful to a vet.

I am going to direct you to a site on the different types of seizures a dog can get which may explain it a bit further.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
What can be done about this?
Expert:  Sally G. replied 8 years ago.
As I said, if it is not life threatening, even when seizures are full blown but not frequent nothing is done. The anti convulsant meds are given in more extreme circumstances. I had a dog that would have full blown seizures once every two months or so and nothing was done. Sometimes meds cause side effects for dogs that are even less pleasant.