NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics

My minn pinn just had these raised bumps under the skin ...

My minn pinn just had these raised bumps under the skin show up in the past two days and today they are covering one side of his little body, what is this and causes this could it be alergies and i noticed my grey hound is starting to show signs of them to. I am going to take them to the vet. is this a life or death problem
Category: Dog
Expert:  NancyH replied 8 years ago.
Yes you should see your vet but its probably not a life or death issue as long as both dogs appear OK as well as having bumps.
This might be an allergic reaction particularly if you used a lawn spray, a rug cleaner or a flea medication,or got them a new cedar or wool bed just before this happened.
But with two dogs showing issues it might be skin parasites such as mange mites or a reaction to flea bites.
Another possibility in FL is fire ant bites.
I'd plan on seeing your vet with the dogs to see if its a parasite issue.
If your dogs might have gotten into anything toxic, are getting dehydrated (see if a pinch of skin over the shoulder blade stays stuck in a tent form or flows back down normally when released), have gums or tongue that look white, blue, gray or yellow tinted where they are normally pink, have a slow color refill if you press on a pink area of gum or tongue, or are becoming lethargic and non responsive to you then I'd get the dogs in to see an emergency vet if one is available in your area.
So if in addition to the bumps they seem 'not right' then that would be of more concern than if they appear to just have a skin issue.
Hope this helps you!