Terri Riba
Terri Riba, Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in canine health and behavior. 20 years of experience with dogs

My dog is throwing up yellow foam and not eating

He is a shitzu poodle cross and he never gets into the garbage or anything he barley eats treats. He had a grooming appointment and got his teeth brushed then two days later he is throwing up yellow foam and not eating. and a little shaky and very lathargic.everytime he drinks water he will turn around and throw up. Please give me an idea of what is going on. He is 5 yrs old and gets his shots regularly

Dear Alexandra,

I am so sorry your baby is not feeling well.

They may have irritated his mouth when they did hs teeth or he could have picked up a virus at the groomers.

He can have pepto,pepsid , kayopectate or any OTC at scroll down for products and dosages.

He may have a bad tummy ache. I would pick up any dog food.Try a small amount of boiled chicken with all fat drained off, chop meat , or baby food with no onion, beef, turkey, etc

Go very slow so he does not throw it up.

Dogs get dehydrated and hypoglycemic very easily from vomiting

Add unflavored pedialyte to his water 50/50 to hydrate him and balance his electrolytes.

Put a drop of pancake syrup on his tongue to raise his blood sugar in case he is a bit hypoglycemic. That should perk him up.

Do not allow him to drink a lot at a time If he throws up water, he can lick ice

Keep him on that very light diet of boiled chicken or chop meat for 48 hours after all vomiting stops.

Also give him one teaspoon a day of plain yogurt to keep "good" bacteria in his system.

If he develops any abdominal pain, bloating, constipation or cannot keep anything down he needs to be seen by a vet.

Please let me know how he is doing. I will always be here for you

I hope your baby feels better very soon..

Best wishes,

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
So Does this mean I have nothing to worrie about? what is the yellow foam? I didnt quite get the answer Im looking for.

The yellow foam is most likely bile because his tummy is empty.He may also have an injury to his mouth

There is an anti emesis here:

The homeopathic is Natrum Sulph, 6x for nausea and vomiting by Hylands Homeopathic.

If he continues to vomit and feel so unwell it is advisable to see his vet.

However keep him hydrated with pedialyte til then

I hope he feels better very soon

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
One more thing. My last dog was a few years older than him and she started to vomit up the same thing and the vet said that it was a damaged esophoges and we ended up having to put her down. Is this in anyway like that??

Oh my - how awful for you! I am so sorry or your loss.

The only way the esophogus gets damaged is with a trach tube used for anesthesia so I dont think this dog has anything that serious.

He may have a mouth injury though.

I would err on the side of caution and have his vet see him in the morning.

I hope he will be fine.