Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Veterinarian
Experience:  Canine General and Emergency Medicine

My new dog, 1 yr old rat terrier, is shaking ...

My new dog, 1 yr old rat terrier, is shaking occassionally. She does not feel like doing anything as usual. However she is sleeping right now. I was out planting grass (seed mixture-seed, mulch and fertilizer) and may have tracked in the remnants. Do you think she may have injested some and got poisoned? Are these symptoms similar to fertilizer poisoning? She is not vomiting and does not have diarrhea.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 8 years ago.
Hi benny,

Most fertilizers do not cause these kind of problems. You should check if yours contains iron, which can cause liver problems in toxic doses.

Rat terriers can shake for "no reason" often. There is something that is called White Dog SHaker SYndrome - although she is not really a white dog, she would fall into the category of small dogs that shake and we don't know why.

I would double check your bag of fertilizer for any iron content and make sure you haven't put out any snail bait. If neither of the above, then watch carefully for any increase in shaking, vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy or inappetance - then get to the emergency clinic. Otherwise, you can take her in tomorrow for a regular physical examination.

I hope that helps you!

Dr. Amanda