Doc James
Doc James, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years small animal veterinarian, acupuncture

My two dogs recently started taking S-Adenosyl after some ...

My two dogs recently started taking S-Adenosyl after some blood work came back with levels off. They are 12 year old lab/chow chow mix spayed females. They have been on the supplement for 8 days now (one is on 225 mg and the other 425 mg). I''ve noticed some strange behaviors! One has started licking the floor (ceramic tile) and the other has started stealing dirty kleenex out of the garbage cans (which happen to have lids on them). Neither of them have ever exhibited this type of behavior before. Is it possible to be linked to the S-Adenosyl? Additionally, the dog on the higher dosage (the kleenex thief!!) has had loose stools twice since she started the S-Adenosyl.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Doc James replied 8 years ago.

Sorry to hear this is going on.

Certainly with any drug there can be side effects. What you are seeing could be related to the drug itself.

I've attached a link to the drug itself, including side effects.

Equally likely is that this behavior is secondary to the priXXXXX XXXXXver problem. Liver issues are the usual reason this drug is prescribed.

If the condition continues, see your vet. There are other formulations of the drug that may be effective, and they may improve on those.

Good luck, and let me know what happens.