Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

My dog is pregnant and she has a very loose stool

Customer Question

Her stomach was hard but now it feels very loose. Is this normal?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 8 years ago.

How long since she was bred or how many weeks is she pregnant?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
She got pregnant about 2.6 months ago. Oh one thing I should have mentioned is she started eating her poop.

Dogs are pregnant about 63 days from the day they first breed which is a couple of days over 2 months. If it has been almost 3 months since she was bred, then she probably experienced a false pregnancy which is actually quite common.

If your are mistaken about the time and it has been approximately 63 days, then the small frequent loose stools would be consistant behavior for a dog getting prepared to go into labor.

There are three stages to labor. During the first stage the cervix dilates and contractions begin. Your female will be uncomfortable, restless, pace and pant. This lasts 6-18 hours. During the second part of labor, your female's contractions begin in ernest. Her water breaks and puppies are delivered usually after 10-30 minutes of pushing. All puppies are born during this stage. The third stage of labor is after all pups have been delivered and is when a dog still has small contractions to expell fluids and/or placentas from the uterus.

You can read more about this here:

A dog’s gestational period (pregnancy) is approximately 63 days from breeding. One way of knowing when your dog with have her puppies is to take her temperature twice daily at the same time each day as her due date gets close. Keep a record of this.

A dog’s normal temperature is between 101-102.5F degrees. Her temperature may rise and fall during this time, but once her temperature falls below 99 degrees, she should go into labor in the next 24 hours. The temperature drop is due to a reduction in serum progesterone levels and signals that the dog will start labor within 24 hours.

You can read about this at:

You may also notice her breasts swelling during this last week of pregnancy and some milk leakage. Dogs will usually become restless and increase their digging and nesting behavior during the last week. You will notice an increase in her panting as well as a mucous discharge. You may also notice some abdominal contractions or rippling as her time grows closer. Do not be surprised if your dog is very restless and vomits as few times during this last week.

Once your dog's temperature has dropped, please do not leave her alone in case of complications. As she enters actual labor you should be able to see her contractions and most dogs will begin looking at their hindquarters. An increase of licking of the genitals is normal before and during labor. Be sure and have an emergency Vet’s phone number readily available just in case of an emergency during the birthing of the puppies.

Here is an excellent site about whelping.

Some other signs that my dogs always seem to exhibit are lack of appetite, frequent urination and frequent small, runny bowel movements in the day before labor starts. Frequently my dogs will start looking at their rears when the first real contractions start.

Most mom dogs will eat puppy feces and urine. Sometimes dogs will do this if the feces smell like food. There really isn't much to suggest except keeping her away from it by leashing her when you take her out, since she may be pregnant. You can read more about Coprophagia here.

I hope you find this information helpful.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Wow, that was really helpful the only thing that I still am wondering is why her skin is baggy not as tight as it was before. If she is in the first stage is it okay to take her a bath?

Again, thank you so much for you help and detailed answers. I really appreciate it.

Frequently as whelping approaches the pups seem to move up and leave the stomach and breast area loose in preparation for milk production. If she is not yet having contractions, you can give her a quick bath. Get her as dry as you can and keep her from getting chilled. Once she delivers, you won't want to bathe her until she stops bleeding entirely which is about 3 weeks after delivery. So you will want to pick up some baby wipes to help keep her somewhat clean. If she lets you, you might want to trim the hair around her vulva before it is soiled.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I thought so but I just wanted to make sure.

I am so very happy with all of your help and answers. THANK YOU THANK YOU!

You're welcome. Let me know how things work out.