Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

My dog has a very bad odor and is very itchy. She has 5 or ...

My dog has a very bad odor and is very itchy. She has 5 or 6 redish/ purplish bumps on her hind end. In addition to this she also is extremely thin although she eats and drinks regularly. I noticed that her vagina is very swollen and her belly is black and scaly. My vet charges alot of money that I can not afford right now. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 8 years ago.

Your dog’s odor could be due to a skin infection such as a yeast or staph infection. This frequently caused by an allergy. Changing your dog’s food could help, as some dogs are allergic to common grains found in dog food. . Your Vet will probably prescribe antibiotics and a change in food. If your dog is currently eating a dog food high in corn or wheat, I’d change him to one that does not contain them as these are the more common ones found to cause problems. Staph usually occurs on the lower regions of your pet and tends to have small pimple type bumps. Shampoo containing Chlorhexiderm and/or Oatmeal can help with this condition though it does not cure the allergy. Yeast typically shows as a greasy area that has a sweet musty odor. Sometimes the skin can become inflamed, darker and thickened due to itching. Yeast likes areas such as between toes, armpits and ears. Selsun Blue Shampoo can help with Yeast dermatitis. When shampooing, lather and leave on 15 minutes before rinsing. Your Vet though will make the final determination. Benadryl can be given at a dosage of up to 2mg per pound every 8 hours for allergy symptoms.
Here is a great site on the problem.

You can read up on allergies here:

It sounds like she may have vaginitis or a skin dermatitis of the fold of the vulva. Usually with vaginitis there is a discharge, but she may be licking it so much, that it isn't noticable. You can read about vaginitis here:

If this is a skin fold dermatitis, You will want to keep the area clean and dry. Benzoyl Peroxide wipes are also effective for cleaning the folds as well and to keep bacteria in the area down. You should apply miconazole cream to help clear the dermatitis if it is a yeast type dermatitis. You may also want to have your vet prescribe an antibiotic to help clear this infection up. Once the infection itself is cleared, keeping the area dry and free of bacteria with the wipes should help keep it cleared. You can read about skin fold dermatitis here:

However, if she is not spayed, swelling of the vulva is a sign of a dog being in heat. Since finances are an issue, perhaps one of the following sites can help so your girl can be seen.
Help-A-Pet This group helps low income families with vet care.

IMOM   This organization help people with emergency medical care in some cases.

Care Credit Quick application and approval for care credit card. You can sometimes apply and get approval while you are at the vet office.

American Animal Hospital Association
Helps animals that have been abandoned or if the owner is having financial hardships

Angels 4 Animals
This organization offers financial aid or treatment to those pets and owners in need.

God's Creatures Ministry
Help pay Vet bills for those that need help

The Pet Fund
Helps provide emergency vet care to those in need.

United Animal Nations
They help rescuers, low income and homeless pay for vet care.

I hope this information is helpful to you.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank You for your time. I appreciate the list of web sites. You've been very helpful.