Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

my dog has a ulcer like sore on his back paw...on ...

Customer Question

my dog has a ulcer like sore on his back paw...on the undeside below the first joint.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 8 years ago.

Hi there!

Welcome to Just Answer! I would like to help you and your dog with this problem, but need a bit more information, please.

How long has this sore been there?

Does he lick at it?

Is it on a weight bearing part of the foot?

So, there was a previous one that healed, and now that is gone and there is a new one? On the same foot?

Does he limp on it?

Any chance of a closeup photo? I can tell you how to upload a photo if you are able to take one!

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Dr.Fiona's Post: Hi--

I noticed the sore today (Sunday); he does not lick it; yes, it is on the weight bearing part of the paw; yes, it is on the same paw (the vet claimed the last "sore" was arthritic growth); and yes, he occasionally limps...but not regularly...he usually limps when he comes off a step wrong.   I do have a digital camera if a photo would help you.

Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 8 years ago.

Well, you know how many words a photo is going to save us, right!?! ;-) It would be very helpful!

You can post a photo or file on this thread - here is how to post them:

You need to post your files on your question page, so the expert can see them. On your question page, there is a tool bar above the reply box at the bottom of the page. If the tool bar is not showing, click "show tool bar". Once you have the tool bar showing, here are the instructions for posting your files:

For graphics, click the tree icon and then browse to choose a GIF, PNG, or JPG. Upload and then insert it.

For zip files, PDFs, or spreadsheets, you need to use the link tool. Enter text (like "download this") in the reply box and then double-click to highlight it. The link is the tool to the left of the tree. In the upper right corner is a browse dialog box, which you can use to locate your file. Select it and then insert the link. Use the Preview button if you want to test the link and see if it works correctly.

File size is limited to 1 MB.

Hope that works for you! Fiona

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hi Fiona--

Sorry for taking so long to respond. The camera battery is dead (argh) and I wasn't able to find a replacement.

If I had been able to take a pic, here's what you would have seen. It is on the underside of the back, left paw; on the pad behind the first digit; it is round, pink red, ~ 1/2" in diameter; with a dark red "puncture-like" mark in the center that's ~1/16 in diameter.

I'm sorry I can't provide a pic.

Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 8 years ago.

Hmmmmm... was the previous wound on the medial aspect of the same pad? Is the lesion raised at all?

What I am wondering about is whether it could be a penetrating foreign body that went in on the side and is tracking through. If this were the case, I would expect to see signs of infection (purulent discharge, inflammation, pain, licking at it, swelling, etc).

Can you charge your batteries overnight so you can post a pic tomorrow?

What is the time frame for the 2 lesions? When did you notice the one on the side? How long did it take to close over? And then when did this appear on the plantar aspect of the foot?

Where do you live (state/province and country)?

Any redness between the digits on this foot or any others?

This is a puzzle!