Vet Tech Amy
Vet Tech Amy, Certified Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Veterinary Technician 5 years, pet owner, 10 years in the animal field
3769875

how to treat a deep cut on the lower front leg ...

how to treat a deep cut on the lower front leg above the paw where it bends?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Vet Tech Amy replied 8 years ago.
How deep is the cut?

Were any bones or ligaments visible?

Can the dog put weight on the leg?

What was it cut on?

How much does your dog weigh?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
It looks pretty deep I dont see any bones he cannot put any weight on it and i really dont know what happened i came home from work yesterday and noticed him limping he often gets out and i dont see him for a day or two at a time so i couldnt say how but he got it cut deep from what i see and he weighs about 60-70lbs.
Thanks for the additional information,

If the cut is deep and he is not putting weight on it, he should be evaluated by a vet ASAP. After 24 hours, the wound will not likely be closed/stitched as it is considered a dirty wound. The exception to this would be if there is little chance of it healing without stitches (on the joint) or if there is damage to ligaments, tendons or bones. A deep cut will require oral antibiotics to avoid serious infection. I would have him seen as soon as possible so that proper treatment can begin.

In the meantime, I would continue to clean the wound with iodine twice daily and re-wrap it each time. You can also give him an adult (325mg) Aspirin every 12 hours for pain. This MUST be ASPIRIN! Not any other pain relievers which can cause organ damage.

If you are concerned about the cost of treatment, you can look at the following websites for financing information/financial assistance.

www.carecredit.com

www.imom.org

www.angels4animals.org

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need additional information.

Best wishes to you BOTH,
Amy