Jennifer E.
Jennifer E., Animal Health Care Expert
Experience:  16 yrs experience in canine and equine rescue/rehab, infectious diseases, nutrition, behavior
8816847

2 teeth knocked completely loose.

Harvey is an Aussie, 7 years old. He just crashed into a strong table and 2 teeth in the upper right front are bleeding and hanging; already tried to pull one, but it resisted. We are in a state of financial disaster and cannot afford our vet. Please help. Ms Coyote Shadow Pons, 843 Pyeatt, Gladewater, TX
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jennifer E. replied 6 years ago.

That must have been an amazing crash!

Can you tell if the teeth are intact (and very loose) or broken? Also, how much is it bleeding? Is he drinking the water willingly?

Thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Jennifer E.'s Post: Yes, Jennifer, Harvey is drinking water on his own - - he is an albino and born deaf - - so smart - - I talk to him with signing. The bleeding has stopped - - he never shows pain response. Gum is red. We couldn't tell if they are still connected to anything more than flesh because they wouldn't come out with gentle tugging - - they have been knocked sideways.

Do the teeth move or "wiggle" at all when you touch them? And how "sideways" do you think they are? I'm trying to visualize!!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
15 degrees; wiggle very much
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
correction to response: 50 degrees; wiggle very much

It's a good thing the teeth are intact and no pulp is exposed. Also good that the bleeding has stopped.

I'm going to take a minute to type your answer. In the meantime, since bleeding has stopped, Harvey can have a little aspirin as I'm sure this is very painful.

You can give him 5mg/lb (to be repeated every 12 hours maximum).

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Jennifer E.'s Post: Jennifer, Harvey ate dinner and I just gave him an asprin. Are you still here?

I'm here - I type my answer into Word and then transfer them. I'll have it for you in a few minutes.

I'm glad he ate!! Did he eat soft food or kibble??

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Jennifer E.'s Post: gave him Purina soft puppy chow

Harvey sounds like a wonderful boy!

I'm going to start with the information you least want to hear, and move on to the more optimistic.

Loose teeth may or may not fall out on their own. Since they are quite "wiggly" and at an odd angle, my guess would be that with time and chew toys, they will come out. I've seen some stay in forever, and one dog regained stability but as I understand it, that's not the norm. It would be better, really, for the teeth to come out. If left in, they increase the risk of infection and abcess. Infection and abcess in the mouth can QUICKLY become systemic and very serious. No matter what, you'll have to monitor for signs of infection. I'll put info about that a little farther down. If the teeth come out FULLY, root included, the space can close. You still run the risk of infection, obviously, but you can stop being as vigilant after awhile.

Normally, I say RUN to the vet, have the teeth extracted, the area sutured and be done with it. However, I fully and totally understand how difficult vet bills can be. I think 99.9% of the population would have a problem with an unexpected vet bill, so I hope you don't feel badly about it. That you are willing to search the internet and give your dog hands on care (in addition to providing a home for a deaf dog) speaks volumes about you as Harvey's human.

If he were mine, I would give him chew toys (the tuggy ropes, nylabones, I'm not a big fan of rawhides) and watch and wait. It will take a lot of vigilance on your part. You need to closely monitor for signs of infection - the area will be red (I know it is now, but I'm talking about a spreading red), possibly there will be swelling. You may notice Harvey develop bad breath. If you tap on the tooth and he experiences pain, that can be an indication of infection also, since he shows no signs of pain when you do that now. Watch for lethargy, keep an eye on his temperature. If and/or when the teeth do fall out, maintan the same level of vigilance as before. Especially if you are not certain the ENTIRE tooth, root included, has come out. If/when the teeth come out, you'll want to rinse the cavities several times a day so no kibble pieces become lodged and cause infection. When the area has healed, you can relax.

In the meantime, if he appears to be in pain, you can give him the aspirin. Do try to limit the frequency, because too much aspirin over time can cause gastointestinal problems and harm the liver. Also, only give it to him when you'll be home to watch him.

Should Harvey develop an infection, he WILL need vet care. As I said, an infection in the jaw can quickly become devastating.

So, below is a list of organizations you can contact through the internet. They assist with veterinary medical expenses. Some do require you to apply to Care Credit, which is basically a credit line to pay for both human and animal medical bills, http://www.carecredit.com/ and be denied before they consider your application. I know a few people who have used care credit and they said the payment plan was pretty reasonable. Most vet clinics will also work with people to set up payment plans, etc. It's always worth the call.

American Animal Hospital Association
www.aahahelpingpets.org/
" Through the AAHA Helping Pets Fund, veterinary care is possible for sick or injured pets even if they have been abandoned or if their owner is experiencing financial hardship."

Angels 4 Animals
www.Angels4Animals.org
"Our services range from financial aid to complete treatment
to those pets and pet owners in need."

Help-A-Pet
www.help-a-pet.org/home.html
"Our efforts focus on serving the elderly, the disabled, and the
working poor."

IMOM
www.imom.org
"We are dedicated to insure that no
companion animal has to be euthanized simply because their caretaker
is financially challenged."

www.thepetfund.com/
"The Pet Fund is a registered 501(c)3 nonprofit association that
provides financial assistance to owners of domestic animals who need
urgent veterinary care."

United Animal Nations
www.uan.org/lifeline/index.html
"The m ission of LifeLine is to help homeless or recently rescued
animals suffering from life-threatening conditions that require
specific and immediate emergency veterinary care. We strive to serve
Good Samaritans and rescue groups who take in sick or injured
animals. In certain cases, LifeLine can also assist senior citizens
and low-income families pay for immediate emergency veterinary care."

I hope sincerely XXXXX XXXXX goes will with Harvey. He sounds like a wonderful companion. Please let me know how he does!!

Jennifer E., Animal Health Care Expert
Experience: 16 yrs experience in canine and equine rescue/rehab, infectious diseases, nutrition, behavior