Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

What can be done to stop foot drop in our German Shepherd dog

Our dog, Bandit, does not have hip displasia. He does have weak back knees. He had surgery Dec. 5th to repair one. Unfortunately, he has developed an infection which we are continually having to treat with antibiotics. When the bones heal, The Dr. take the plate out. In this recovery period he has developed foot drop pretty serverely in this leg. It the plate is removed, I believe his leg will be even weaker. His other back knee is also partially torn , but we aren''t wanting surgery on it unless absolutely necessary.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 8 years ago.

If you haven't been offered this alternative, you may want to consider braces. They can help stablize the hock and keep the foot in the natural position. Check out all the different choices they have. You may find that this helps your dog stay mobile and aid in the complete healing process. It may also help stablize the leg that is not going to have surgery.

I hope this information is helpful to you.