Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery

What can I do for my dog while she is in heat

No Comment Added
What concerns do you have, regarding her heat cycle?

Is she not acting well?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Drew's Post: she seems fine, but she is sleeping a lot and she seems depressed
Is she still spotting blood, or is there any other type of discharge (pus, etc)?

Is her appetite normal?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Drew's Post: I just noticed her bleeding an hour ago. There is not any other discharge. She is eating a little less than normal.
It is normal for some female dogs to show some behavior changes during their heat cycle -- if she is still eating and drinking an acceptable amount, and there's no vomiting, or diarrhea, and the discharge is just normal blood without pus, then I don't think you have much to be concerned about.

If any of those change for the worse, I would suggest a trip to your veterinarian ASAP.

If you need more info, please let me know.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Drew's Post: what can i do to make her feel better while she is in heat?
There's not much you can do, other than giving a vitamin/mineral supplement containing iron, to make sure that she is able to replace any blood that she loses during her bleeding. Other than that, there's not much to do.