Theresa
Theresa, A Voice for Your Pet
Experience:  19+ years experience in small animal medicine
1484153

Can you give dogs paracetamol

My 20kg dog has an upper respiratory infection and is suffering. I''ve taken him to my vet who didn''t prescribe anything to ease his symptoms. I gave him a 5ml spoon of calpol (infant paracetamol) which seems to have eased his symptoms a little. Should this be a one off, or can I give it to him again before he settles for the evening?

Paracetemol or tylenol is toxic to dogs and is not recommended. You can however give ASA (asprin) as a safer alternative. This can be given at a dose of 5mg per pound twice daily on a full stomach for no more than two days. You can also give him diphenhydramine or chlorpheniramine to help with the runny nose. Diphenhydramine (benedryl) can be given at a dose of 1mg per pound twice daily. The chlorpheniramine can be given at a dose of 4mg twice daily.

Please let me know if further assistance is needed.

Theresa

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Thanks for your prompt reply Theresa.

Is it safe to give asprin related products such as ibuprofen (child variety) to dogs? I have piriteze allergy tablet, but they contain cetirizine hydrochloride - is this as safe as chlorpheniramine which is in the form of piriton?

Cetirizine is okay. Ibuprofen is not okay. ASA only.

Theresa