S. August Abbott, CAS
S. August Abbott, CAS, Own Animal Care/Rescue Org.
Experience:  We rescue what others leave behind; Animal Care author; Behavior & Nutrition Consults
1604863

my dog ate Lilly Miller Rose & flower food; he is ...

my dog ate Lilly Miller Rose & flower food; he is throwing up, what do I do?
Category: Dog
Expert:  S. August Abbott, CAS replied 6 years ago.

How long ago did he eat this and what amount?

What are you seeing in the vomit?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to TheCaretaker's Post: about 3 hours ago I think. HIs vomit is very dark, like he ate the dirt.

First and foremost, let me put your mind at ease for a bit. Your dog is not the only dog who has ever eaten this product and it's not considered seriously toxic.

With that said, do you think he did ingest some of the dirt?

Do you know how much of the fertilizer and/or dirt he might have ingested?

Was the dirt regular/plain dirt or was there anything mixed with it ?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to TheCaretaker's Post: I put some Bakers Rose plant food & statemic on the roses also. His stomach is making some noises & he still has diarhea.

OK, give me a moment to get all my information typed out to you.

In the meantime, let me know if he's eaten anything else since then and if so, did he keep it down?

Did you offer him anything to eat and he refused?

Has he had water and kept it down?

Describe the diarrhea.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to TheCaretaker's Post: diarrhea is very dark & similiar to a human Mexico reaction, just can't hold it. He did not eat his dinner & do not think he has had any water.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
He will lay down for awhile & then sit up like he is very uncomfortable, then start panting. After ahile, he sits back down again.
Lily Miller Brands Rose and Plant Food, according to the research and material safety data, has no ecological concern and is considered a non-hazardous plant material. This means it's safe for routine contact by animals and other plants as well as non toxic to water tables.

Ingestion by dogs (relatively common believe it or not) may cause GI tract irritation in certain amounts and it's suggested that this be treated symptomatically.

The material safety report can be viewed here Click

What has me most concerned is that he's still showing this degree of discomfort and panting. Now, it's possible that with all the excitement and attention he's become a bit nervous, plus the vomiting and diarrhea are going to be stressful by itself, so this will be a judgement call on your part. No one knows your dog like you do and you must trust your instincts with him.

If you feel comfortable doing so, the symptomatic treatment for this is multi stepped:

1. Withdraw food and water until the dog has gone six hours without an episode.

(If vomiting continues more than 24 hours, lethargy or fever develops, seek medical attention without further delay)

2. Introduce just one or two tablespoons of water every 15 minutes or so. If the dog can keep it down after a couple hours, try increasing the amount of water. When you're sure the dog is maintaining, try offering some plain chicken broth or even Jell-O.

Once the dog goes 12 hours without vomiting you can begin introducing bland foods; however, if the vomiting begins again, go back to #1.

3. Bland diet introduction will include boiled chicken and rice (no skin and skim off all fat). About ½ cup of meat with 1 ½ cups rice and some of the broth. You can also use boiled or baked potato instead of rice.

- only offer a couple tablespoons of this mixture/soup at a time -

Remember, if the vomiting begins again, it's back to #1.

4. The next day, increase the amount of single feedings and gradually add some of the dog's regular food. You should still spread the feedings out into four or five meals throughout the day rather than the typical one or two.

You have to make sure the dog maintains on this for 24 hours. A couple spoons of food every hour or two.

If the vomiting re-starts, it's time to make the vet appointment.

Now, all this said, I reiterate that you need to trust your own instincts on this. You can see him and you know what you feel.

There is never anything wrong with seeking medical care. If your own vet isn't open, often the answering machine will have 'after hours' vets to call for emergencies.

Emergency care facilities are often regular vet offices that have 'after hours'.

Your companion may have ingested a parasite inhabiting the soil and it could very well be doing this and thus your description of "Montezuma's revenge" diarrhea.

As long as he's going to be keeping you up with his discomfort - I'd like to see you get him seen just for peace of mind.

Please let me know how you all make out.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I took my dog to the vet emergency clinic on Saturday. He is in ICU now, still throwing up.

I'm glad you brought him in. I could tell from your concern that you'd go the extra mile. I'm still pretty convinced that there was a parasite or other 'something' in the soil. Thank you for checking back and please continue to let me know how you all make out. God bless,

Experience: We rescue what others leave behind; Animal Care author; Behavior & Nutrition Consults