Gina
Gina, Breeder and Health Care Specialist
Experience:  20+ years experience in animal health care. Hobby breeder of Olde English Mastiffs and owned by an English Bulldog.
673497

my dog looks sad and wont eat

Customer Question

hi. i just notice my dog is looking sick she wont eat and not active at all, she is usually crazy and eats a lot.. my dad just injected her with penecilen... i notice she was eating what the goats discharge after birth.. what should i do? i am on a tight budget cant take her to the vet..
Category: Dog
Expert:  Gina replied 8 years ago.

Hi there:

If your dog was eating placentas from the birth of baby goats, she likely will be ill. Check her gums..if they are pale and tacky, she is dehydrated. Check her temperature rectally..normal is 100-102.5..if its over 103, I am sorry to say that she really does need veterinary care but if you are on a farm, your herd health vet might be able to come out to treat her. For now, for supportive care, you can give her pedialyte (electrolyte solution) in small amounts and you can try offering her a bland diet of boiled chicken and rice. She will likely have diarrhea so keep the fluids in her. Other than that, there isn't much you can do other than supportive measures from home. I do not recommend any OTC medications for her at this point other than maybe a half of a Tums. Please let me know how you make out with her.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
give her a half tablet of tums? the humen medicine? she just vomited some yellow like mucus? is the penecilen gonna help?
Expert:  Gina replied 8 years ago.
Yes, a half a tablet of human Tums may help settle her tummy. Yellow like mucus is called bile..which normally comes from having an empty tummy. Try offering her the bland diet..if you don't have chicken on hand, hamburger will do just be sure to boil it and drain off all the fat and rinse again. Penicillian is likely not going to do much for your girl as the cause is unknown so I would not administer that again without consulting with your vet. :)
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
can i dog die from this?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
i mean she**
Expert:  Gina replied 8 years ago.

I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX could tell you whether or not your baby is going to be ok...but without a hands on along with bloodwork to find out exactly what is going on, the best thing you can do supportive care. It could even be pancreatitis from ingesting the placentas. You can read more about that here:

Pancreatitis In Your Dog Or Cat

If she is not feeling better by tomorrow, do try to have her checked out. :)