Doc James
Doc James, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years small animal veterinarian, acupuncture

how to cure blackheads on chinese crested dogs

Customer Question

I have a chinese crested who has slight acne and severe blackhead how can this be helped. I use benzo peroxide shampoo and resicholr conditoner
Category: Dog
Expert:  Doc James replied 8 years ago.

Hi there,

You're certainly on the right track with the benzoyl peroxide shampoo. This is one of the best mechanisms for minimizing this problem. Make certain you are leaving it on for the appropriate length of time.

Some people have had success with mild apricot scrubs, which can minimize the blackheads, but make certain to use the resichlor as a rehydration technique. Most of the time, the blackheads are only unsightly. As long as they are not infected, they don't pose a problem as far as health. It is pretty well accepted in this breed.

Topical therapy tends to be your best bet, and you are already doing that. Systemic antibiotics and steroids don't really do much.

If you haven't done it yet, make certain to have your vet rule out demodectic mange. Sometimes they are prone to it.

Good luck.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I was hopeing for some magic cure but it looks like I'll just have to deal with them. I just took him to the vet and he says that hes not infected.I'll continue with the topical treatment and to make sure I leave the shampoo on for the correct time, lately I dont think I have. Thank You