Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
6340741

my dog has a lump on her neck that is very large and ...

my dog has a lump on her neck that is very large and very tender, should I be concerned?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 8 years ago.
How long has it been there?

Is it getting larger each day?

Is it on the bottom of her neck, or the top, or sides?

Thanks,
Drew
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Drew's Post: IM NOT SURE HOW LONG ITS BEEN THERE. IT IS PRETTY LARGE FOR HER SIZE. SHE ONLY WEIGHS 10 LBS AND IT TAKES UP MOST OF THE LEFT SIDE OF HER NECK
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 8 years ago.
Has it gotten larger since you first saw it?

Is she acting normally otherwise (eating, drinking normally?)

Is the lump firm or soft?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Drew's Post: IM NOT SURE. JUST SAW IT LAST NIGHT. IM AT WORK RIGHT NOW.
SHE SEEMS TO BE HIDING A BIT, BUT IM NOT SURE IF THAT IS BECAUSE I WAS TRYING TO FEEL IT LAST NIGHT AND SHE ALMOST BIT ME. SOMETHING SHE WOULD NEVER DO. SHE CRIED AND YELPED TOO. SHE WONT LET ME REALLY FEEL IT
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 8 years ago.
A lump in that area can be many different things. It can be a swollen lymph node, which can be a result of an infection, or it could be an enlarged salivary gland, possibly also from an infection. It could be a tumor of some sort, either in the salivary gland or the thyroid gland, or even a lymph node tumor such as lymphoma.

The only way to know for sure what is going on there is to have your veterinarian perform a fine-needle aspirate, to collect some of the cells from the lump, for examination under the microscope. Depending on the results of that test, the proper treatment can be recommended.

If you need more info about this, please let me know.

-Drew