Dr.Fiona
Dr.Fiona, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years experience as a companion animal veterinarian in British Columbia, California and Ontario
7995545

My puppy has worms. He was given medicine yesterday. How ...

My puppy has worms. He was given medicine yesterday. How long does it take to work? What can I do to enusre it doesn''t spread? I have a 5 year old son and a pregnant girlfriend that I don''t want to get them. I can''t just "lock up" a dalmation puppy full of energy. What can I do?

Hi there,

I'd like to help you with this question. Could you please give me a bit more information so I can better help you?

What kind of worms does the pup have?

How old is the pup?

What type of dewormer did the vet give (it should be on your invoice)?

Do you have to give a second dose?

How long have you had the pup?

Fiona

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The worms look like tiny white wax worms.
Pongo is 12 weeks.(guesstimation between what the humane society told us and the vet figured)
Nemex 22.7 mg
He was given the second dose yesterday. The first was two weeks ago as a preventative. He did not show signs of any.
We got him from the local humane society about 3 1/2 to 4 weeks ago. He was a stray and had been there about a week. When we got him he was covered in fleas and so thin you could see skeletal structure with ease.

Did your vet say that he had tapeworms? I am thinking from what you are describing that this is what he has...

So, he had one dose of Nemex given 2 weeks ago, and a second dose of nemex given yesterday?

And how much does Pongo weigh?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
No. The Vet hasn't actually seen the worms. He didn't show signs at the original visit. When the first dose was given. When we called to ask about the worms we were set up with an appointment for 4/11/2008 and told to just disinfect where ever the puppy goes. (Not Practical)

At the first visit he weighed 6.5 pounds and now he is pushing 10 pounds.

Yes the Nemex was two weeks ago and yesterday.
Ok, so YOU have seen the worms? Do they look like little sesame seeds around the anus or on the stool?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
They look more like thin maggots or long waxy rice. They have been around the stool and his bottom side. I actually picked one from his anus with a paper towel.

Hi there!

What you are describing are tapeworms segments. Tapeworms are an intestinal parasite that pets can get either from eating fleas or eating mice. In the case of a dog, it is far more likely to be from fleas. Since you mention that he was flea-infested when he was at the shelter, I'm sure that is how he got the tapeworms.

Here is more information on tapeworms:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=562

Please note: tapeworms are transmissible to humans! However, the WAY they are infected is by eating the flea, which is the same way the dog became infected. So, given that you have treated your dog for fleas, and neither your son nor your girlfriend is likely to eat a flea, the risk is very very low. Tapeworms can be treated with either Drontal Plus or Cestex. In Canada these are only available through a veterinarian.

Unfortunately, Nemex contains only pyrantel pamoate which is NOT effective against tapeworms.

Your pup may well have roundworms, too, which are much harder to detect and usually require a fecal sample to be examined by a vet. These are ALSO transmissible to humans, with children again being most at risk. Fortunately, the Nemex will have killed any of these. I would be far more concerned about the risk to your son and girlfriend from this worm, but since your pup has had 2 doses of an effective dewormer for this, that will get rid of them. Just make sure you pick up any feces from the yard immediately when the dog deposits them.

Here is an excellent website about pets and parasites and the risks to humans:

http://www.capcvet.org/

So, in summary, you are describing tapeworms. Because the Nemex is not effective against tapeworms, I suggest you take the pup to a veterinarian, or phone your vet to explain you have seen tapeworm segments. He will be able to provide an effective and safe dewormer. Here are links to products that WILL kill tapeworms.

http://www.bayerdvm.com/Products/Drontal/drontal-plus.cfm

http://www.1800petmeds.com/Cestex-prod10051.html

http://www.1800petmeds.com/Drontal+Plus-prod10346.html

If this has answered your question, please hit "Accept" and leave feedback. I will still be here to provide more information if you need it!

Fiona