Dr. Smith
Dr. Smith, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian in Small Animal Practice for 13 years
2410912

Can dogs take ativan {5 year old english mastiff, 170lb....

Can dogs take ativan {5 year old english mastiff, 170lb.... if yes how many mg/kg, any toxic renal effects? And dosage info for romazicon to reverse the ativan.

Hello Nurse Kim, Smile

Lorazepam can be used quite safely in dogs and cats to treat an assortment of ailments, including anxiety.

Typical dosings range from 0.5 mg up to 2 mg per pet every 4-8 hours as needed and/or to effect.

I would recommend for a dog this size to consider using the injectable drug Domitor ( detomidine) at lower end of dosing spectrum for a great level of sedation for radiographs and endoscopy.

With this combination, only the detomidine portion of the sedation needs to be reversed with AntiSedan in equal parts...the Lorazepam can wear off on it's own and ease recovery for the patient.

Your veterinarian can determine the specific drug dosages based on your pet's weight, anesthetic risk scale, and availability of drugs.

I hope that you found this information helpful.

Please remember to PRESS ACCEPT so that I can be compensated for my time and professional recommendations concerning your pet. Smile

I encourage feedback and appreciate any type bonus!!
Best wishes to you and your pet,

Dr . Jodi Lynn Smith

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
we tried Dormitor the last time, and it took 2 days to wear off even after the reversal of part of it....and in that 2 days...she was really, really mean, like we were scared of her mean.

Well, if you are concerned that underlying aggression could be un-inhibited by sedation, than using a benzodiazepene sedative is NOT going to be a good option for you, as the same effect can occur with Lorazepam.

Domitor is COMPLETELY reversible. I have NEVER seen it not be reversed with the proper dosage of Antisedan given in the proper Intramuscular administration. Was ANY other premed used WITH the domitor that you can recall??? Acepromazine? Valium??? Butorphanol????

Perhaps the safest and BEST option for you would be to elect routine and simple induction with propofol or ketamine/valium for intubation and then transition her into Isoflurane anesthesia. An endoscope can be passed by the trach tube if upper airway assessment is needed. This way, you can be sure there is no delayed recovery period or prolonged sedative effects.

In a dog that large, you truly don't have alot of options for SAFE, EFFECTIVE, and REVERSIBLE sedation/anesthesia.

Please remember to PRESS ACCEPT so that I can be compensated for my time and professional recommendations concerning your pet. I encourage feedback and appreciate bonuses!!
Best wishes to you and your pet,

Dr . Jodi Lynn Smith

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Smith's Post: YES, ACEPROMAZINE 50MG WAS GIVEN WITH THE DORMITOR. THIS WAS DONE AT HOME, WITH MOBILE VET, CUZ GETTING TO HER TO VET IS A TOTAL NIGHTMARE. THIS WAS JUST TO DRAW BLOOD. THEN SHE HAD A RUPTURED BENIGN CYST ON HER SIDE THAT SHE HAD TO HAVE SURGICALLY REMOVED. THERE IS NO 24 HOUR VET CLINIC IN RENO, SO I HAD TO PICK HER UP THAT NIGHT, SHE WAS WAY OVER SEDATED STILL, I SPENT THE NIGHT SUCTIONING HER AIRWAY WITH A BULB SYRINGE, BECAUSE SHE COULDN'T EVEN PICK UP HER HEAD..IT TOOK AT GOOD 2-3 DAYS FOR HER TO COME OUT OF ANESTHECIC, BECAUSE THEY DIDN'T GIVE HER ANYTHING THAT WAS REVERSABLE....FYI- I AM A HOSPICE NURSE. ANYWAY, I THINK SHE ASPIRATED, SHE HAS HAD FLUID IN HER LUNGS EVER SINCE, THAT WAS 3 WEEKS AGO. SHE HAD 1 WEEK OF CLINDOMYCIN, AND 2 WEEKS OF DOXICYCLINE, AND 3 WEEKS OF METACAM... AND SHE IS NO BETTER, AND NOW HAS BLACK STOOL AND SOME VOMITING OF WHITE FROTHY STUFF, THOU SHE WILL HOLD DOWN OATMEAL, YOGURT, SOFT STUFF. SHE IS STILL EATING AND DRINKING AND PLAYING THOU.
THE VET HERE WANTS TO HAVE CHEST X-RAYS AND ENDOSCOPY, AND PROBABLY ADMIT HER FOR IV THEREPY AND ANTIBIOTICS, BUT SINCE THERE IS NO 24 HOUR CLINIC, SHE WOULD HAVE TO BE TRANSPORTED FROM VET OFFICE AT NIGHT TO ER CLINIC AND THEN BACK IN MORNING EVERYDAY. I WANTED TO INSTEAD HAVE X-RAYS AND BROCHIAL CULTURE DONE AND FOR HER TO COME HOME ON ORAL ANTIBIOTICS OR IV OR IM THAT I COULD DO AT HOME. AND MY THOUGHTS WERE THAT THE GI BLEED WAS DUE TO METCAM AND WE COULD GIVE HER PEPCID AND IT WOULD HOPEFULLY RESOLVE ITSELF.    THEY SAY THEY CAN'T LEGALLY LET ME DO IV OR IM AT HOME....HOW CAN THAT BE, WHEN WITH PEOPLE WE DO HOME CHEMOTHEREPY EVEN. I JUST DON'T KNOW WHAT THE RIGHT THING TO DO IS.

Kim,

Thank you for confirming that they did NOT reverse the domitor.....it is completely reversible.

The Acepromazine could have easily dorked her to the moon and back if the domitor was not reversed prior to discharge and if she had ANY degree of underlying heart, liver, or kidney disease that was subclinical at the time of sedation.

If aspiration is a worry, than simple chest films should be performed without sedation. A quick lateral chest view should suffice.

Please note that using Domitor and Acepromazine in a Giant Breed dog could potentially accelerate any UNDIAGNOSED cardiovascular irregularities. Meaning, if your pet had any degree of undiagnosed/subclinical heart disease, that using these medications without the proper monitoring, reversal, and recovery protocol could have precipitated an episode of congestive heart failure. It is pertinent that the determination of whether she has aspiration pneumonia or pulmonary edema 2' to congestive heart failure be made immediately, as the therapy is obviously going to be quite different between the two etiologies.

Metacam should never be used if underlying kidney disease is possible or if pre-operative bloodwork has not been done to verify renal status. Metacam can and does cause GI symptoms and can precipitate kidney failure if used without caution.

I think the place to start is to get your chest xrays done and see where to go from there. Oral antibiotics should be fine for her if she is not vomiting. She may also take Pepcid and Cerinia in capsule form for vomiting if needed once daily by mouth.

Your original question has been answered, the consult has now turned into something entirely different from the original question list price.

I wish you the best of luck with your pet.

Please remember to PRESS ACCEPT so that I can be compensated for my time and professional recommendations concerning your pet.

Dr . Jodi Lynn Smith

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX will submit $20.00 for your advise, and yes, her creatinine was 2.8, prior to treatment.