Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator

Can marijuana inhaliation cause a dog to have a seizure

Customer Question

I have adopted an english bulldog who is approximately 10 yrs old. She just had a seizure last night and is in stable condition @ her vet clinic. I''m worried that my bad habits has caused harm to my bully...this is a serious question, please help...
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 8 years ago.

The dog would have to eat about 1.5 grams per pound of body weight for it to be toxic. Toxic amounts would cause vomiting, halucinations or death. Did your dog ingest that amount? Also did you tell your vet about it?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
No she didn't ingest any, and I didn't say anything to the Vet, I felt horrible as it was, I didn't want them to think of me as being an irresponsible owner
Expert:  Sally G. replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for that information. Vets will not make an opinion unless you purposely gave her something and this is not the case. They see many dogs and cats that come in contact with illegal drugs, to better help the pet they would want to know the specifics, but they aren't going to turn anyone in. IF the dog came in contact with the smoke in the air then it probably did not cause a seizure. Dogs get seizures and sometimes it is idopathic, meaning there is no known cause. Since you just adopted her she may have already had a history of seizures.

I am going to direct you to sites for seizures so you will know when it is an emergency and to help you better understand them.

In the future , should your dog get hold of any type of drug it is a good idea to let the vet know so they can properly treat the dog.