Dr. K
Dr. K, Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years experience as Veterinarian

Why does my dog always sit against a wall

My almost 2 year old lab always seems to sit with his back (lower back and butt) against a wall or the couch. Why is he doing this? He chases balls, walks obvious trauma or injury...
Does he rub the lower part of his back or butt against the wall, almost like he is trying to relieve an itch?
Does he scoot his rear end across the floor at times, rubbing is anal area on the floor?
Does he lick or chew at this area of his body?

Dr. K
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Dr. K's Post: No, No and No...he just seems to want to sit against the wall, any wall, until the time he decides to lay down...
It is most likely that this is just what he likes to do! There may be absolutely nothing medically wrong with him that would cause him to do this.
As long as he does not seem to have any difficulty walking, no limping, is eating and drinking normally and does not show any of the signs that I listed in my questions above, then I would not worry about it. If he does start to show any of these signs, then you should take him in to the veterinarian to have his hips evaluated and his anal glands checked.
I hope that this information is of help to you, and I wish you the best of luck with your dog. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Dr. K