NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics

my dog is twitching almost like muscle spasm every 5 - 15 ...

Customer Question

my dog is twitching almost like muscle spasm every 5 - 15 seconds . It seems to be her back and hips , that are the main issue. She is a 3 and a half year old lab and is in great shape we exercise her often. What could cause this and what do i do???? Help please
Category: Dog
Expert:  NancyH replied 8 years ago.
Its possible she has a pinch in a disc in her spine causing this. When the nerves are pinched you can get twitching. You can read about disc issues here
This might be due to muscle or joint pain from a tick carried disease.
She could be itching from a flea bite too and twitching because she can feel them biting or walking on her.
If she is also holding her tail oddly she may have a painful case of cold tail also called limber or dead tail seen in the breed. You can read about this here
Twitching can also go along with a type of epileptic seizure. You can read about seizure types here
If she got an overdose of a flea chemical or got into a toxin the twitching could be from that too.
I'd plan a vet visit to check into the problem.
Hope this helps you!
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to NancyH's Post: I think it might have been the hiccups because I gave her water and sat with her for an hour and she stop and has not done it since.
Expert:  NancyH replied 8 years ago.
If it was hiccups they are unusual in an adult dog and seen mostly just in growing pups.
I'd suggest writing out the info on when this happened and what was going on around that time and how long she did it and the date etc so that if she does it again you have the info on when it happened before.