Joan
Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech for over 35+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues
5071285

My dog is very disoriented, walking in circles, not eating ...

My dog is very disoriented, walking in circles, not eating or drinking (in last 24 hours) and loses his balance. He is on the antibiotics cephalexin and baytril.

Has you dog been checked for an ear infection?

Does you dogs eye seem to dart to one side or the other?

Does the dog give the appreance of being drunk?

How old is your dog?

Joan

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Jav917's Post: Hello,

Has you dog been checked for an ear infection? No, but we have performed physical checks to the ears that would have cause pain if this was the case.

Does you dogs eye seem to dart to one side or the other? No.

Does the dog give the appreance of being drunk? Yes, progressively worse over the last week. The last three days extremely worse.

How old is your dog? 10-12 years old

Thanks.

Thank you for the extra information. This sounds like a problem called Idopathic Vestibular disease aka "Old Dog Diease" This is an area in the middle and inner ear that controls the balance center and helps all living creature to be able to walk without falling. Some of the signs are walking like drunk, eyes darting to one side or the other, head tilt to one side, circling when walking, falling to one side or the other when standing and some other symptoms that may come with this problem. In older dogs Vestibular disturbance is usually idopathic and can come on suddenly and last about 14 days and then clear as quickly as it started. I would like to supply some further information about Idopathic Vestibular Disturbance. You may want to speak with your Vet about this problem, since it can cause nausea, but there are some medications that may help with the inner ear to offer a little relief.Joan

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_vestibular_disease.html

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Jav917's Post: We researched this disease but dog does not tilt head, or have the darting eyes.

This problem can manifest itself with different symptoms in each animal. It may not necesarily have all the symptoms like the head tilt and darting eyes. It may just be the circling and the drunken type stagger. I have seen this hit dogs with just the Nystagmus and no Ataxia, and I have seen dogs get all the symptoms. No two animals will be affected alike. The symptoms can be wide and Varied. This does fall into the right age grouping and the way it came on suddenly fits the pattern. What happens is the Vestibular apparatus in the inner and middle ear is disturbed which casues this problem. It can be from allergy, ear infection or as I had said Idiopathic, meaning no known reason. I would not rule this out as a diagnosis. Joan

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Thank you! One more thing. This just happened in the last ten minutes. He is howling with his mouth closed while lying on side perfectly still and now is barking in high pitch tone and walking around, stumbling. Sound was gradual from low howl to high-pitched barking.

thanks!

This may be a seizure or even the Beginnings of Canine Cognitive diease, with these new symptoms showing. I will give you information on both. Joan

This is canine cognitive dysfunction syndrome: http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art25417.asp this also has the circling and not eating as well as the Vocalizations.

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_seizure_disorder.html This is about seizures which can also includle the circling and vocaliztions.

At this point I would check with your Vet for a hands on diagnosis. Joan