Dr.Fiona
Dr.Fiona, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years experience as a companion animal veterinarian in British Columbia, California and Ontario
7995545

My dog is craving water like crazy since this morning but ...

Customer Question

My dog is craving water like crazy since this morning but every time he drinks it he gets sick and throws up. i was told just to keep the water from him but he is craving it so bad we have to keep giving him some. Isn''t there anything I can do to help him? He is a 5.5 pound yorkie
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 6 years ago.

Hi there,

I, too, am very concerned about your little dog! What is in the vomit (aside from water)? Any food? Any blood? Anything that looks like coffee grounds? Has he had any diarrhea?

Was he normal yesterday?

Has he lost any weight in the last month or so?

Fiona

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Dr.Fiona's Post: just water and like white stuff....... he has lost a little weight but that's because he needed to.... he was over 6 pounds......no food in the vomit.. just mainly water
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 6 years ago.

Has he been drinking a lot for more than 1 day, or did it just come on suddenly today?

How has his appetite been in the last few weeks?

Did you change his diet to get him to lose weight or increase his exercise?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
He started this morning on the way to the groomers which is always a "bad experience" for him and while there was sick and since he has been back home. He has finally settled down in his bed but I don't want that to be from "lack" of water. He eats chicken (baked) most of the time and will only eat cat food (dry) on the side other times. He is very funny about what he eats. We do exercise him but I think the weight loss is from not eating today and very little yesterday.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
do you need more info?
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 6 years ago.
Sorry for the delay - my 3 year old daughter just woke up and I need a moment to get her back to sleep!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
its ok....... he has settled down now it seems but that worries me too unless he has finally gotten some relief.....
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
do you think my dog is ok? he is sleeping now but I want to make sure. Is there anything I can do for him when he is like this?
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 6 years ago.

Sorry about that - I am back now! Just working on your answer and will be back shortly..

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 6 years ago.

Hi again, and thanks for your patience!

The first thing I would like you to do is treat your dog for HYPOGLYCEMIA in case he is suffering with this low blood sugar problem. Take 1 teaspoon of honey, Karo syrup, corn syrup or (real) maple sugar and rub it on his gums RIGHT NOW before reading on. This, and the fact that he is vomiting, tells me that he may be getting dehydrated. I am worried that he is just not absorbing any of the fluid he drinks.

So, based on what you are telling me, this may have all be gastroenteritis triggered by  stress.  I am a little concerned, however, that there may be something more going on like pancreatitis.  If this was triggered by stress, then the advice about what to do (below) should solve your problem.  If, however, it was triggered by pancreatitis, he will not improve with the suggestions below and should go see his veterinarian tomorrow morning! 

Gastroenteritis is an inflammation of the stomach and intestines and is characterized by vomiting and loss of appetite.  It can be caused by a large number of different things. 

Pancreatitis can also be caused by a number of things, such as certain medications, infections (bacteria can climb up into the pancreas from the intestines), high fat meals, high amounts of calcium in the blood, trauma and shock (for example it can happen after a dog is hit by a car). Some dogs are more prone to pancreatitis than other dogs and Yorkes are high on the list.

Typically, the symptoms of pancreatitis are abdominal pain, fever, vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy and a very painful belly. Your dog does not sound like he has these except for the vomiting.

Bloodwork that confirms pancreatitis shows very high levels of amylase and lipase. These are 2 enzymes that the pancreas makes and delivers to the intestines to help digest food. With high fat meals, the pancreas has to work extra-hard to make these, and this can cause it to actually start digesting itself. This is very painful!

Many times, we don't find the exact cause of pancreatitis. An ultrasound is useful to look for a mass in the pancreas (such as a tumor, which is RARE), and to see how severely the pancreas is affected. This can help with giving a prognosis, and estimating how long a recovery will take.

Generally, pancreatitis is treated aggressively with intravenous fluids, intravenous antibiotics, pain killers and resting the intestinal tract. This last means that NO food is given by mouth until symptoms start to resolve. Then, once the pancreatitis is starting to resolve, we usually start the patient with just water and see if that stays down. If there is no vomiting or abdominal pain, we then start *very* small meals of an easy to digest, low fat food and monitor closely.

For long-term management, patients who are prone to pancreatitis are kept on a low fat diet to minimize chances of a flare-up. Antibiotics are continued for 1-2 weeks, as well as other medications as needed (such as anti-nausea medications).

I will give you some links to more information:

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1580&articleid=335

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/acute-pancreatitis-in-dogs/page1.aspx

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=2214

Now, as for what you can do for your dog. I suggest the following:

1. When he has an episode of frequent vomiting, you should WITH-HOLD FOOD! Do not offer him anything for 12- 24 hours. This gives the intestines a chance to rest and heal.

2. When he is fasting, he can have clear fluids. So, water is fine, but also he can have pedialyte, Gatorade, apple juice diluted 50:50 with water, or chicken or beef broth diluted 50:50 with water. Give the fluids in small amounts frequently. For a dog this size that means about 1 tablespoon every half hour.

3. After 12-24 hours if the vomiting has stopped, you can start your dog back on a bland diet. For patients that I see, I recommend a mixture of 75% cooked white rice, and 25% low fat protein. For the protein you could use extra lean ground beef, boiled with the fat scooped off, or chicken breast boiled with fat scooped off or even scrambled egg cooked without fat in the microwave. Feed small frequent meals. For a dog this size, I would suggest 2-3 tablespoons every 3 to 4 hours.

4. After 1-2 days on the rice mix, you would gradually change your dog back to the normal diet and food. So, on day 3, give the rice mixture, but bigger meals, spaced further apart. On day 4, mix a little tiny bit of the normal food in there, and decrease the frequency so it is down to 3 meals or so. And so on.

5. Keep your dog as quiet as possible - just out to relieve himself and back in.

I'll give you a link to further information:

So, my suggestion would be to try fasting overnight but giving small frequent amounts of clear fluids.  If he is not improving by tomorrow, or if he continues to retch or vomit, is lethargic, or is deteriorating in any way, seek prompt veterinary care. .

I hope that helps you. If this has been helpful, please hit the green "Accept" button. I will still be here if you have further questions!

Fiona

Dr.Fiona, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: 16 years experience as a companion animal veterinarian in British Columbia, California and Ontario
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thank you Dr Fiona
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 6 years ago.
You are so welcome! Best wishes to you and your pup!