NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics

How do I stop my dog from rushing to the door and barking

I have a 6 month old dog that rushes to the door and barks as soon as someone knocks or comes in. I have to stop this behavior quickly. We have a business in our home and a constant flow of traffic. Please help!!
Category: Dog
Expert:  NancyH replied 8 years ago.
What you need to do is teach him to respond to the signal of the door with a different behavior such as going to his bed and sitting to wait for his treat.
Clicker and target training are very useful tools for teaching the new behavior because they let you tell the dog 'yes that is right' and they show the dog where to go to get praised or rewarded.
This is a bright little breed and usually very good with clicker training. You can read how clickers work here
You can read about the target training here
I'd suggest working with a trainer familiar with clicker and target training and may help you find one near you. Once you understand the principles its easier to train other specific behaviors.
If training is out of the question you might try a doggy play pen or use one while you are working on training but are not there yet. You can see one here
Hope this helps you!