Pat
Pat, Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years of veterinary experience in private practice and emergency care
7770642

my dog ate some mouse or rat poop and he is throwing op ...

my dog ate some mouse or rat poop and he is throwing op alot. should i take him to the vet right now.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Pat replied 8 years ago.
Have you put rat poison down? How do you know he ate poo?
Dr. Pat
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Pat's Post: No rat poison, but we saw some poo in the garage, then he's been throwing up and we found a piece in it
Expert:  Pat replied 8 years ago.
The poop should not really bother him. Dogs eat way worse than that daily.
I would worry if there was any chance that the rat could have been poisoned.
If your dog continues to throw up, for more than 1 hour, I would head in to the ER clinic.
If however, he stops, give him a "tummy" break by not feeding him for an hour, then try some saltines or rice and a little bit of water. If he keeps this down, add more food and let him sleep.
I would also look around for anything else toxic. (Antifreeze, Sidewalk Salt come to mind this time of year) If he begins to act differently, slows down, is still vomiting, better take him in, better safe than sorry, and it is amlost impossible to say over the internet what the best course of action is in this case.
I wish you the best of luck with him

Dr. Pat