How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Megz Your Own Question
Megz
Megz, Vet Tech
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 8
Experience:  Vet Tech - Experience in Emergency/critical care clinic and Spay/neuter clinic settings
8921097
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Megz is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

dose aspartame hurt dogs if yes what can happen

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Megz replied 8 years ago.
Hi could you please answer a few questions for me? I need a few more details to help you figure out if your dog is in danger

  • What did your dog get ahold of that contained aspartame?
  • How much did she consume? (Estimate worst case scenario if you aren't sure)
  • How long ago did she consume the aspartame?
  • What kind of dog do you have? How big is she?
  • Is she acting abnormally in any way?

Any other details you can tell me will also be helpful!
I'm going to start typing up an answer for you and I will also be checking for the answers to the questions above
Expert:  Megz replied 8 years ago.
According to


The ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center **



Aspartame has not been found to cause problems in dogs


(ASPCA blog answer here)

If your dog consumed artificially sweetened (sugar free) candy gum etc. a sweetener called Xylitol is your main concern as it is toxic to dogs.

Please let me know if you would like more info on xylitol toxicity or if you have any other questions!


** If you think your pet has consumed something toxic...
I always suggest calling the ASPCA Poison Control Center first thing!

The # XXXXX (NNN) NNN-NNNN


They do have a $60 consultation fee
- However this fee is very worthwhile and here's why -
  • It may save you a trip to the vet because they will be able to inform you if what your animal consumed is toxic.
  • If it is toxic they can instruct you on how to care for your animal.
  • If it is critical they can give you first aid instructions that cannot wait until you get to the vet.
  • If you do need to get to an emergency vet you will most likely need to call poison control anyway. The vet can call for you but they usually charge an additional fee to do so (the clinic I worked ER at charged $95)
  • If you call yourself you not only save $ you can save the doctor time which can be the difference between life and death in toxicity cases.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Megz's Post: cookies last night 3. 65 to 70 pounds. husky-german sheper-lab.she has diarra
Expert:  Megz replied 8 years ago.
With a dog that size you should be ok.

If the diarrhea continues you may want to get her to the vet for some fluids to prevent dehydration.